Saint John’s Football
The Saint John’s football program supports the institutional mission by providing student-athletes with exceptional educational and athletic opportunities while fostering the formation of the whole person: spiritual, social, physical, intellectual. We commit to regional leadership, excellence and the highest ethical standards in athletics. We will sustain a strong family and community base of support by presenting outstanding interscholastic athletics, developing exceptional student-athletes and a positive public identity for the institution.
Values & commitments, education and enrichment of the student athlete – The coaching staff is committed to providing each student-athlete with Christian value based educational opportunities, moral and spiritual guidance and the highest levels of athletic competition to help him grow as a total person. The program values competitive athletic and academic experiences that build self-esteem, moral responsibility, community leadership and an appreciation of life-long learning.
Integrity in all aspects of behavior – The highest sense of integrity shall characterize every aspect of policy and performance in the Saint John’s football program. All participants shall exemplify impeccable integrity – be they student athletes, coaches or managers.
Excellence throughout the organization – Excellence shall permeate the performance, the people and achievements. Seeking excellence academically, athletically and socially is crucial to the development of our young men. It is imperative that high expectations characterize our behavior on the field, in the classroom, and in our community.
Respect for the individual – The program is committed to reinforcing and enhancing a climate of mutual respect. The program will recognize and appreciate the contributions of individuals throughout the institution and encourage open communication with our families, players and faculty.
A tradition of leadership – The traditions of Saint John’s High School athletics – leadership, individual and team achievements an intense pride and loyalty, commitment to Christian values and community service – have in large part driven the success and reputation of the school for generations. The Saint John’s football program is committed to enhance and build upon these traditions for the development of current, past and future members of the Saint John’s family.
Saint John’s student-athletes participate at the highest levels of interscholastic competition while matriculating a demanding and intensive academic curriculum. Our coaching staff will be an extension of the academic faculty relative to academic priorities, disciplinary policies, building moral and spiritual character and fostering commitment to excellence.
Our coaches will work to instill valuable character traits such as unselfishness, a solid work ethic and the ability for a player to see beyond his own success. We will focus on the team and not the individual.
Our coaching staff will motivate our players with positive reinforcement, engage in open communication and demonstrate predictable behavior.
Our program will be inclusive and expansive for all class levels. The program will be seamless between Varsity, JV and freshmen levels as respects practice and game plan development.
Fundamentals will be drilled at all levels. Practices will be designed to reinforce fundamentals and create a learning environment. Drills will simulate game situations at all times. Physical conditioning will be a priority at all levels, at all times. Practice planning will follow college level structure.
Coaches will be available to assist student-athletes throughout the college recruiting process and will utilize the network of college coaches to assist student-athletes in any capacity at any level.
Saint John’s Football Team Rules
The most important concept in our program is the team. No player or coach is more important than the team. All actions and decisions will be considered with respect to the effect on our team. The players and coaches must make personal sacrifices for the good of the team. If the sacrifices are too great, the player or coach should leave the team.
Being part of a team means you must give up part of your individuality by adhering to the following:
- Develop yourself as a student, first and foremost.
- The coaching staff has high expectations of you as a young man, student and athlete. Set high expectations for yourself and live up to them.
- Never get involved in a situation that will cause embarrassment to yourself, your teammates, your family, your coaches or your school.
- Saint John’s code of conduct regulations and MIAA regulations will be strictly adhered to.
- Be prompt for all meetings and practices.
- Adhere to the Saint John’s dress code at all times. No bandanas, skull caps, excessive eye black, etc.
- All equipment will be checked out according to player’s number. Each player is personally responsible for the equipment checked out to him. Your failure to return equipment deprives someone else the opportunity to participate in our football program.
- Hazing of any kind will not be tolerated. Hazing is contrary to everything Saint John’s represents – Christianity, community, compassion, commitment to one another. Our success will depend on our ability to come together as a football family.
- Each player will dress in full gear unless excused by Coach Andreoli or the athletic trainers. Injured players are expected to be at practice and remain with their positional group.
All the hard work and effort of practice and preparation is put forth for one primary objective, the game. We expect to win, but more importantly we expect to play to our maximum ability each week.
- Our pre-game drills set the tone for the game. We expect to have an organized, enthusiastic pre-game.
- Never lose your poise.
- Show respect to the officials, refer to them as “Sir” or “Mr.”
- Do not talk to your opponent in a derogatory manner.
- Encourage your teammates – help them up. Never blame anyone individually – we win and we lose as a team.
- Never come off the field unless someone comes in for you and tells you that you’re out.
- Always play with enthusiasm.
- Never walk on or off the field – always run.
- Keep your helmet on at all times when on the playing field.
- Show class when we score. Act like you’ve been in the end zone before – and expect to return many times thereafter.
- At the end of the game, head for the middle of the field and congratulate your opponents on a well-played game.
What we expect from you
- Commit yourself to obtain the best education possible
- Give 110% effort all the time, every time
- Be an ambassador of Saint John’s High School at all times
- Respect your teammates
- Be honest in all your dealings
- Be loyal to your school, teammates, coaches, family and friends
- Be on time for all meetings and practices
- Take every opportunity to praise
What you can expect from us
- To work you harder than you’ve ever worked before
- To assist you in any way possible now and after your graduate
- To make all decisions based on what’s best for the team, then what’s best for the individual.
- To help you reach your goals