Safety Contract (Davis)
PREPARE FOR LABORATORY WORK
- Study laboratory procedures prior to class.
- Be aware of safety factors before beginning lab activity.
- Never perform unauthorized experiments.
- Keep your lab bench organized and free of apparel, books, and other clutter.
- Know the locations of, and how to use the safety shower, eyewash, fire blanket and first aid kit.
DRESS FOR LABORATORY WORK
- Wear lab aprons during all required laboratory sessions.
- Wear safety goggles during all required laboratory sessions.
- Wear gloves when using chemicals that irritate or can be absorbed through skin.
AVOID CONTACT WITH CHEMICALS
- Never taste or "sniff" chemicals.
- Never draw materials in a pipette with your mouth.
- When heating substances in a test tube, point the mouth away from people.
- Never carry dangerous chemicals or hot equipment near other people.
- Never distract another student who is performing an experiment.
No roaming during a lab. Remain at your assigned lab bench.
- Keep combustibles away from open flames.
- Use caution if handling hot glassware.
- When diluting acid, always add acid slowly to water. Never add water to acid.
- Use glycerin and twist slowly at the base when inserting glass tubing through stoppers.
- Turn off burners when not in use.
- Keep caps on reagent bottles. Never switch caps.
- Always read labels before using reagents.
- Leave laboratory bench clean and neat. Return goggles and aprons (folded) to cabinets.
- Consult teacher for proper disposal of chemicals.
- Wash hands thoroughly following experiments.
IN CASE OF ACCIDENT
- Report all accidents and spills immediately.
- Place broken glass in designated containers.
- Wash all acids and bases from your skin immediately with plenty of running water.
- If chemicals get in your eyes, wash them for at least 15 minutes with an eyewash.
I, ________________________________, agree to: (a) Follow the teachers instructions, (b) protect my eyes, face, hands and body during laboratory, (c) conduct myself in a responsible manner at all times in the laboratory, and (d) abide by all of the safety regulations specified above. In doing so, I also realize that failure to conduct myself in a safe manner during laboratory activities will result in the forfeiture of my laboratory privileges for that day, and result in a zero for that lab report.
Signature _____________________________ Date ______________
Parent/Guardian Signature __________________________ Date _____________