Welcome to Mr. Hughes' Website!!!
“A Saint John's Catholic education is rooted in the commitment of the Xaverian Brothers to bring Christ to life in young men.”
You’ve read this opening sentence from our school’s mission statement, but have you considered it’s meaning?
· Education: From the Latin roots e– out + ducere– lead; Socrates debated this with the Sophists, whose name is based on the Greek word for Wisdom. But what is wisdom, who has it and what’s it worth to you to find it? Why do we go to school anyway?
· Catholic: From the Greek meaning universal, both in time and place, this means the whole enchilada, not just your or my little ideas about the “Way, Truth and Life”
· Saint John’s: Our school’s name and the only Apostle who stood at the foot of the Holy Cross; a true Contemplative in Action.
· Xaverian Brothers: Without these guys, there’d be no St. John’s. Know your roots, since this family, like you and your family, has a history that is worth discovering…
· Young men: That’s self evident, no?
· Christ: “But who do you say that I am? (Mt. 16:15) C.S. Lewis’ trilemma was right: he’s either Lord, Liar, or Lunatic. Plus, St. Paul was right in 1 Corinthians 15. Either he rose from the dead or he didn’t. There is evidence which awaits your verdict…