Course Title: Algebra I
Course Level: Honors
All of the basic skills and concepts of Algebra are presented. This is a foundation course to prepare students for all subsequent mathematics courses. Topics of the course will include the properties of real numbers, equations and inequalities, operations on polynomial and rational expressions, factoring, functions and their graphs, and problem solving.
Ordinarily placement in this course is determined by the student’s performance on both the St. John’s entrance exam and mathematics placement exam.
Student Learning Outcomes
“Students Will Be Able To”:
1) Categorize numbers; rational, irrational, natural, whole, integer.
2) Evaluate and simplify algebraic expressions.
3) Solve linear equations and linear inequalities.
4) Solve word problems using algebraic skills.
5) Graph linear equations and linear inequalities.
6) Understand the concept of slope of a line.
7) Identify and write systems of linear equations and solve these systems.
8) Perform operations on polynomial expressions.
9) Factor polynomial expressions.
10) Simplify, and perform operations on rational expressions.
11) Graph and solve quadratic expressions, including use of the discriminant.
12) Simplify radical expressions and solve radical equations.
Methods of Assessment
Material for Course
Class lectures include question and answer discussions between instructor and students.
Written homework assignments are given daily including a review the next class day.
Students demonstrate their knowledge at the white board.
Weekly exams/quizzes are given.
Homework Notebook/folders are graded every interim and quarter.
Textbook: Algebra 1: Structure and Method Book 1
Pen or Pencil
Scope and Sequence
Structure & Method – Book 1
Introduction to Algebra
· Variable & Equations
· Problem Solving & Applications
· Numbers on a Line
Working with Real Numbers
· Addition & Subtraction
· Multiplication & Division
Solving Equations and Problems
· Transforming Equations
· Solving Problems
· Problem Solving Skills
· Addition & Subtraction
· Problem Solving with Polynomials
· Quotients & Factoring
· Products & Factors
· Factoring Patterns
· General Factoring and Its Applications
· Algebra Fractions
· Adding & Subtracting Fractions
· Polynomial Division
· Ratios & Proportions
· Fractional Equations
· Percent Problems
· Mixture & Work Problems
· Problems Involving Exponents
Introduction to Functions
· Using Two Variables
· Linear Equations
System of Linear Equations
· Solving Systems of Equations
· Inequalities in One Variable
· Combining Open Sentences
· Inequalities in Two Variables
Rational and Irrational Numbers
· Rational Numbers
· Irrational Numbers
· Radical Expressions
· Quadratic Equations
· Using Quadratic Equations