Saint John’s High School is constructing a new academic and fine arts building set to open in September 2015. The 48,000 square-foot, three story facility will house the Performing/Visual Arts, World Languages, and a portion of the Social Studies Departments.
This facility, and most importantly the instruction and learning that takes place within its walls, will help the school more fully live out our mission of educating the whole person through an expansion of the arts, and will allow Saint John’s to more fully address the Xaverian call to be global in nature – through furthering of world languages. Founders Hall will provide an appropriate teaching and learning environment commensurate with the level of education being offered and serve the strategic plan which calls for Saint John’s to remain a school of 1,000.
Michael Welch ’78, the school’s headmaster, remarked that “this state-of-the art-facility will transform our campus and educational offerings for generations to come.”
Saint John’s contracted Justin, Pope, Frazier LLC to design the new facility. Lauring Construction Co., Inc. is serving as construction manager for this project.
What will be in Founders Hall?
Highlights of the new building include a state-of-the-art 350-seat Performing Arts Center equipped with orchestra pit and state-of-the-art fly, lighting, and sound technology, music practice spaces, a two-story band room, art studios, a cutting edge World Language and Graphic Arts computer lab, and 14 additional classrooms.
The origins of “Founders Hall”
Founders Hall will honor Saint John’s roots on Temple Street in Worcester. The name recognizes the four Xaverian Brothers who arrived in Worcester in 1894 to staff the boys division of the Saint John’s grammar school led by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur at the time. Founders Hall also honors the thousands of young men who attended the Temple Street campus before Saint John’s relocated to Main Street in Shrewsbury in 1961.